As a responsible manufacturer of medical equipment, Hitachi is committed to design a reliable system which medical staffs can treat patients with greater peace of mind.
Immediate recovery during the great earthquake
We have set strict examination standards from the equipment design and installation stage in order to resume treatment quickly after natural disasters including earthquakes. The know-how of earthquake-resistant which have been thoroughly examined in Japan has been applied to our global sites to provide a robust system.
- Our proton therapy system at Tsukuba University Hospital experienced a seismic intensity of over 6 during the Great East Japan Earthquake*1 in March 2011. The system required repair and testing. The entire system including the rotating gantry was restored within 4 days.
- The proton therapy system at Hokkaido University Hospital experienced a seismic intensity of upper 5 in the Hokkaido Eastern Iburi Earthquake*2 in September 2018. Hokkaido University Hospital was able to continue treatment without being affected by the earthquake.
- *1 : The Great East Japan Earthquake occurred on March 11, 2011. An earthquake with an epicenter depth of about 24km near 130km east-southeast of the Oshika Peninsula, Miyagi Prefecture in Sanriku offshore.
The magnitude of the earthquake is magnitude (M) 9.0. The maximum seismic intensity is the highest seismic intensity 7 in the seismic intensity class. This is the largest in the history of observation in Japan. According to the information of the United States Geological Survey (USGS), it is the fourth largest earthquake in the world since 1900.
- *2 : The Hokkaido Eastern Iburi Earthquake occurred on September 6, 2018. An earthquake with an epicenter in the central eastern part of the Iburi region of Hokkaido and an epicenter depth of 37 km.
The magnitude of the earthquake is 6.7, and the depth of the epicenter is 37 km. The maximum seismic intensity is the highest seismic intensity 7 in the seismic intensity class.
Hitachi’s Policy on Safety
- The independent interlocks and the system design to ensure the reliable treatment
- Compliant with Medical device laws, electrical safety laws, product signs laws,
JIS, IEC standards, CE Mark, and prescribed standards, decrees, and guidelines
- Compliant with aseismic design laws