1. Definition of Personal Information and Activity of its Protection
Hitachi, Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "Hitachi") shall define that personal information means information about individuals, including the name, birth date and other descriptions about them, or a number, symbol, code, image or sound assigned to them, that identifies the individuals (it shall also include the information that cannot identify individuals by itself, but can, as it easily can be verified with some other information.) In addition, it shall not be limited to personal identifiers, but shall include any information that indicates a fact, recognition and assessment about the attribute of individuals, including a physical characteristic, property, occupation or status.
And, from the viewpoint of the protection of the rights and interests of the Concerned Persons, Hitachi makes efforts to consider the following points.
- Responding to request from Concerned Persons about their retained personal data
by voluntarily stopping its use, etc., such as stopping the sending of direct mail to the
- Whether information is entrusted to others or not, promoting the clarification of
outside processing, such as clarifying the details of work done outside the business by
- Clarifying the purpose of use more to the Concerned Persons through activities such
as the business voluntarily limiting the purpose of use based on the selections of the
Concerned Persons or the business limiting and showing the purpose of use by type with
consideration to the details of the work.
- Specifying as concretely as possible the source personal information was acquired
from and the method of acquisition (the type of acquisition source, etc.) on the
procedures to meet requests for disclosure and others.
2. Scope of Application
This document, "About Personal Information Protection," establishes the Hitachi's procedures for handling personal information.
3. Handlig Policy of Personal Information - Collection/Usage Purpose and Provision to Third Party
- In relation to Hitachi's main business activities for electrical machinery parts, information communication machinery parts, electronic parts manufacturing and the information service, Hitachi will collect and use personal information only to achieve each purpose. For more details of our business activities, please see our website about each division.
When Hitachi requires a person to provide the personal information as is written in a document directly from the person, Hitachi will clearly state the purpose of the use beforehand to obtain the consent.
- Execution of a contract concluded between Hitachi and a customer.
- Contacts for business negotiations and meetings with a customer.
- Delivery of after-sales service on products, and sending of information on events and new products.
- Execution of business, including system development, operation and maintenance, entrusted by customers.
- Delivery of various membership services.
- Affairs of stocks.
- Response to various inquiries from a customer.
- Analysis based on questionnaires to improve products and services.
- Provision of personal information to the group company in case of co-operation with them.
- Hitachi will not provide the personal information with a third party without first obtaining consent of the person, except in the following cases:
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is based on laws
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is necessary for the protection of the life, body, or property of an individual and in which it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is specially necessary for improving public hygiene or promoting the sound growth of children and in which it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is necessary for cooperating with a state institution, a local public body, or an individual or entity entrusted by one in executing the operations prescribed by laws and in which obtaining the consent of the person might impede the execution of the operations concerned
- Cases in which an entry handling personal information entrust the handling of personal information in whole or in part within the scope necessary for the achievement of the Purpose of Use
- Case in which personal information is provided as a result of the take-over of business in a merger or otherwise
- When required to do so for business activities in which Hitachi is co-operating with the group companies, Hitachi may provide such group companies with personal information such as a name, workplace or home addresses, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address, etc. If this is the case, the personal information will be provided in print or electronic media. In addition, the person may request us to stop the provision of the personal information with the group companies.
4. About Usage of Cookies and Web beacons
A person can refuse to receive a cookie, or can display a warning message when receiving a cookie by changing the setting of a web browser. For more details, please see the instructions of a web browser you are using. Moreover, a person can reject a Web beacon by setting to refuse the receipt of a cookie.
But, in the first case, please note that a person may not be able to use the all or part of our services provided in the website.
Mean information exchanged one another between a web server that controls a web site and a web browser that a person uses. Cookies may be saved as files in the disk of a person's PC. If you use a cookie, the web server can track and record information about which pages in the web site the particular computer visits etc. However, we cannot identify the person unless he or she enters the personal information into the web site.
- Web Beacons:
Mean technology that functions with a cookie to check how many times a person accesses a particular page. However, we cannot identify the person unless he or she enters the personal information when receiving cookies.
When a person wants to request to disclose, correct, add, delete, stop usage, stop provision to a third party, or notify the purpose of usage of his/her personal information (hereinafter referred to as "disclose and so on") held by Hitachi, or wants to raise complaints, the person is requested to follow the following procedures:
- Request to disclose personal information that a person submitted to a Hitachi's sales department.
- Please contact the relevant sales department.
- Request to disclose personal information that a person submitted through our web site.
- Please contact the department that manages the relevant web site.
- Request to disclose personal information in the event except the above 1. or 2..
- Complaints for our personal information handling.
IT Security Management Department, IT Strategy Division, Corporate Information Technology Group, Hitachi, Ltd.
1-6-6 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8280
- * Office hours: 9:00 - 17:30, weekdays (excluding Saturday, Sunday and holidays)
Download Letter of Complaint:
6. Request to person
- While most of Hitachi's services can be used without the personal information, please note that some services are only available with the submission of the personal information.
- Please note that Hitachi is not responsible for the security of personal information in any non-Hitachi web site whose link is included in the Hitachi's web site.
- If a person enters the personal information into the Hitachi's website, he or she is required to agree upon the provisions in this document, "About Personal Information Protection", otherwise you may not use our services (including response to inquiries). Also, if you are aged at 14 or younger, please enter the personal information with the consent of a parent or guardian.
7. Special Note
- Our personal information protection policy shall be in accordance with the laws of Japan.
- Hitachi may revise this document, "About Personal Information Protection," to improve the handling of personal information and/or due to the revision of laws or ordinances, or other rules or regulations.
- The implementation of this document, "About Personal Information Protection," shall be after the issued date (or revised date).
- If each Hitachi website has its own personal information policy, this policy shall supersede the provisions of any other policies in the Hitachi websites.
- If a person calls us, Hitachi may tape the call to ensure offering clearer answers.
8. Inquiries about This Website
If you have any questions about this web site ("About Personal Information Protection") except Section 5 (Request to Disclose Personal Information or Raising Complaints), please contact us using the following "Inquiry Form" or by mail.
If you submit us any inquiries or opinions, we would like you to carefully read and agree on the terms stipulated in this document, otherwise please note that we may not answer the inquiry.
Any personal information you submit us will be deleted, as we answer your inquiry, and we will not hold it.
- Contact by mail
- IT Security Management Department, IT Strategy Division, Corporate Information Technology Group, Hitachi, Ltd.
1-6-6 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8280
If you contact us by mail, please fill in the following items
and include in the sheet:
- Your inquiry (required)
- Your name (required)
- Organization (e.g. name of company or school)
- E-mail address (required)
- Postal code*
- * If you do not have an email address, you are required to fill in all the items with "*"
Enacted on April 1, 2005
Revised on April 1, 2010
- In order to read a PDF file, you need to have Adobe® Reader® installed in your computer.