1. Definition of Personal Information and Activity of its Protection
Hitachi, Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "Hitachi") shall define that personal information means information about individuals, including the name, birth date and other descriptions about them, or a number, symbol, code, image or sound assigned to them, that identifies the individuals (it shall also include the information that cannot identify individuals by itself, but can, as it easily can be verified with some other information.), and/or the information that contains an individual identification code(s). In addition, it shall not be limited to personal identifiers, but shall include any information that indicates a fact, recognition and assessment about the attribute of individuals, including a physical characteristic, property, occupation or status.
And, from the viewpoint of the protection of the rights and interests of the Concerned Persons, Hitachi makes efforts to consider the following points.
- Responding to request from Concerned Persons about their retained personal data
by voluntarily stopping its use, etc., such as stopping the sending of direct mail to the
- Whether information is entrusted to others or not, promoting the clarification of
outside processing, such as clarifying the details of work done outside the business by
- Clarifying the purpose of use more to the Concerned Persons through activities such
as the business voluntarily limiting the purpose of use based on the selections of the
Concerned Persons or the business limiting and showing the purpose of use by type with
consideration to the details of the work.
- Specifying as concretely as possible the source personal information was acquired
from and the method of acquisition (the type of acquisition source, etc.) on the
procedures to meet requests for disclosure and others.
2. Scope of Application
This document, "About Personal Information Protection," establishes the Hitachi's procedures for handling personal information.
3. Handling Policy of Personal Information - Collection/Usage Purpose and Provision to Third Party
- In relation to Hitachi's main business activities for electrical machinery parts, information communication machinery parts, electronic parts manufacturing and the information service, Hitachi will collect and use personal information only to achieve each purpose. For more details of our business activities, please see our website about each division.
When Hitachi requires a person to provide the personal information as is written in a document directly from the person, Hitachi will clearly state the purpose of the use beforehand to obtain the consent.
- Execution of a contract concluded between Hitachi and a customer.
- Contacts for business negotiations and meetings with a customer.
- Delivery of after-sales service on products, and sending of information on events and new products.
- Execution of business, including system development, operation and maintenance, entrusted by customers.
- Delivery of various membership services.
- Affairs of stocks.
- Response to various inquiries from a customer.
- Analysis based on questionnaires to improve products and services.
- Provision of personal information to the group company in case of co-operation with them.
- Security and safety management by using security cameras and/or any other equivalent devices
- Hitachi will not provide the personal information with a third party without first obtaining consent of the person, except in the following cases:
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is based on laws
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is necessary for the protection of the life, body, or property of an individual and in which it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is especially necessary for improving public hygiene or promoting the sound growth of children and in which it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is necessary for cooperating with a state institution, a local public body, or an individual or entity entrusted by one in executing the operations prescribed by laws and in which obtaining the consent of the person might impede the execution of the operations concerned
- Cases in which an entry handling personal information entrust the handling of personal information in whole or in part within the scope necessary for the achievement of the Purpose of Use
- Case in which personal information is provided as a result of the take-over of business in a merger or otherwise
- When required to do so for business activities in which Hitachi is co-operating with the group companies, Hitachi may provide such group companies with personal information such as a name, workplace and home addresses, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address, etc. If this is the case, the personal information will be provided in print or electronic media. In addition, the person may request us to stop the provision of the personal information with the group companies.
4. Handling of Specific Personal Information
- In our main business activities involving the manufacturing of electric machinery and appliances, telecommunications machinery and appliances, and electronic components, as well as the provision of information services, when handling specific personal information, our Company will comply with the Act on the Use of Numbers to Identify a Specific Individual in the Administrative Procedure (hereinafter referred to as the "Act on the Use of Numbers"), Act on the Protection of Personal Information, and Guidelines for proper handling of Specific Personal Information (for private entities).
- Our Company considers our "personal information protection policy" as the "basic policy for the proper handling of specific personal information", and will ensure the proper handling of specific personal information.
- Our Company considers the performance of administrative procedures relating to social security, taxes, and countermeasures against disasters stipulated in each paragraph in Article 9 of the Act on the Use of Numbers to be the scope of use of specific personal information, and will obtain and use specific personal information to the extent necessary to achieve a purpose.
The main scope of use of specific personal information handled by our Company is as follows:
Our Company engages in a wide range of business activities, and each business division website may also publish notifications and announcements concerning the purpose of use of specific personal information in the relevant business.
- Clerical work in which upon receipt of specific personal information provided by, for example, our employees, our Company states such information in necessary documents, such as certificates of tax deducted for employment income and retirement income, payroll payment reports, unemployment insurance notifications, notifications of qualified persons covered by health insurance and corporate employees' pension insurance, and legal written records, and submits the aforementioned documents to the director of a taxation office, the mayor of a municipality, Japan Pension Service, or other organizations.
- Clerical work in which upon receipt of specific personal information, our Company states such information in various reports of payment, such as reports of payment of remuneration and fees; reports of payment of dividends, distribution of surplus, and interest on funds; reports of payment of rental charges, such as for real estate; and reports of payment in consideration of the transfer of, for example, real estate; and submits the aforementioned reports to the director of a taxation office.
- Performance of operations that involve clerical work entrusted to our Company by an administrative organization or other private entity for the handling of specific personal information.
- Our Company will not provide specific personal information of a person to any third party, apart from cases stipulated by laws and regulations concerning specific personal information. Our Company will not jointly use such information. However, for any case that falls under any of the items stipulated in Article 19 (Restrictions on the Provision of Specific Personal Information) of the Act on the Use of Numbers, specific personal information may be provided.
- Our Company may entrust handling of specific personal information within the scope of purpose of use stipulated by laws and regulations.
- Request for disclosure, correction, addition, deletion, suspension of use, suspension of provision to third parties, or notification of purpose of use, or any complaint concerning specific personal information held by our Company will be made in accordance with our "6. Request for Disclosure, etc. of Personal Information or Submission of Complaints."
5. Implementation of Safety Management Measures
In order to operate as an organization to ensure proper handling of personal information, top executives have formulated the Personal Information Protection Policy and developed internal rules such as Regulations and Guidelines for Personal Information Management in accordance with the basic policies stipulated in the Personal Information Protection Policy. Moreover, Hitachi has established a system to confirm and evaluate whether its rules conform to JIS Q 15001, which is a governing regulation of the PrivacyMark. Besides developing such regulations, Hitachi is taking concrete safety management measures from four specific aspects (systematic, personal, physical, and technical) in handling personal information.
For details, please refer to the Information Security Report.
6. Personal Information Protection Legal Systems in Foreign Countries
Hitachi may transfer your personal information to a third party in a foreign country in order to have smooth operations of handling such information. Please refer to the Personal Information Protection Committee's website* for legislation in regard to the protection of personal information in such countries or visit each website of the personal information handling system provided by Hitachi.
* Official lists from Personal Information Protection Commission regarding the laws and regulations in regards of the protection of the personal information in foreign countries are available on their webpage of this link below:
Users can refuse to receive cookies, or can display a warning message when receiving cookies, by changing the web browser settings. For more detail, please see the guidance of the web browser you are using.
You can find out how to change cookie settings of major web browsers at:
Moreover, users can reject Web beacons by refusing to receive cookies.
Small text files that a website sends to a user's device in order to store certain information. Cookies may be saved as files on the user's computer. Cookies are used to enable users to navigate a website more conveniently by remembering the user's activities on the website. Cookies can also collect analytical data to improve a website's function and performance, track a person's activities on the internet and allow the website or our AdTech partners to show personalized advertising, or allow a person to share the website's content on social media. Cookies usually identify a user's device and web browser, but we cannot directly identify the user unless the user enters his or her personal information on the website.
- Web Beacons:
Technology that functions with cookies to check how many times a person accesses a particular page. However, it cannot directly identify the user unless the user accepts cookies and enters his or her personal information on the website.
When a person wants to request to disclose, correct, add, delete, stop usage, stop provision to a third party, notify the purpose of usage of his/her personal information held by Hitachi, or disclose the record of provision to a third party (hereinafter referred to as "disclose and so on"), or wants to raise complaints, the person is requested to follow the following procedures:
- Request to disclose personal information that a person submitted to a Hitachi's sales department.
- Please contact the relevant sales department.
- Request to disclose personal information that a person submitted through our web site.
- Please contact the department that manages the relevant web site.
- Request to disclose personal information in the event except the above 1. or 2..
- Complaints for our personal information handling.
Data Protection Management Office, Information Security Risk Management Division, Hitachi, Ltd.
1-18-13, Soto-Kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-8608, Japan
(Please note that IP telephone number might not be connected depending on your environment.)
General Manager, Data Protection Management Office
- * Office hours: 9:00 - 17:30, weekdays (excluding Saturday, Sunday and holidays)
Download Letter of Complaint:
9. Request to person
- While most of Hitachi's services can be used without the personal information, please note that some services are only available with the submission of the personal information.
- Please note that Hitachi is not responsible for the security of personal information in any non-Hitachi web site whose link is included in the Hitachi's web site.
- If a person enters the personal information into the Hitachi's website, he or she is required to agree upon the provisions in this document, "About Personal Information Protection", otherwise you may not use our services (including response to inquiries). Also, if you are aged at 14 or younger, please enter the personal information with the consent of a parent or guardian.
10. Special Note
- Our personal information protection policy shall be in accordance with the laws of Japan.
- Hitachi may revise this document, "About Personal Information Protection," to improve the handling of personal information and/or due to the revision of laws or ordinances, or other rules or regulations.
- The implementation of this document, "About Personal Information Protection," shall be after the issued date (or revised date).
- If each Hitachi website has its own personal information policy, this policy shall supersede the provisions of any other policies in the Hitachi websites.
- If a person calls us, Hitachi may tape the call to ensure offering clearer answers.
11. Inquiries about This Website
If you have any questions about this web site ("About Personal Information Protection") except Section 5 (Request to Disclose Personal Information or Raising Complaints), please contact us using the following "Inquiry Form" or by mail.
The contents of this site shall be in accordance with the laws of Japan.
If you have an inquiry about Hitachi group company outside of Japan or the laws and regulations outside of Japan, please access to the Hitachi Group's website in the respective region accordingly.
If you submit us any inquiries or opinions, we would like you to carefully read and agree on the terms stipulated in this document, otherwise please note that we may not answer the inquiry.
Any personal information you submit us will be deleted, as we answer your inquiry, and we will not hold it.
- Contact by mail
- Data Protection Management Office, Information Security Risk Management Division, Hitachi, Ltd.
1-18-13, Soto-Kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-8608, Japan
If you contact us by mail, please fill in the following items
and include in the sheet:
- Your inquiry (required)
- Your name (required)
- Organization (e.g. name of company or school)
- E-mail address (required)
- Postal code*
- * If you do not have an email address, you are required to fill in all the items with "*"
Enacted on April 1, 2005
Updated on April 1 , 2023